Highlights of Minutes
March 25, 2010
The Board of Directors was established and approved.Margie Brooks led discussion regarding the type of organization to be adopted and initial discussion of the Mission Statement.Acknowledgement was made of E. Royden Clarke, Jr. and George B. Williams as members of the Hyde County Board of Commissioners Historic Courthouse Oversight Committee.
April 20, 2010
Motion was made and approved for the slate of officers:
Motion was made and approved to accept the mission statement.
There was a discussion of bylaws.
May 13, 2010
Motion was made and approved to accept the by-laws with agreed changes.
The Board adopted a bank resolution to open a checking account. Two signatures will be required on all checks and all officers are authorized to sign checks with the treasurer. A motion was made and approved to open the account at The East Carolina Bank.
There was a review of Articles of Incorporation. A motion was made and approved to accept Steve Bryan as registered agent. Initial registered office is Steve’s office at 119 East Main Street, Swan Quarter, and NC 27885.
A motion was made and approved for the Friends of Hyde County’s Historic 1854 Courthouse to be a “non-members ” corporation. A motion was made and approved for Edward to write checks to cover expenses already incurred by the Friends of Hyde County’s Historic 1854 Courthouse.
June 10, 2010
Goals and Objectives were discussed.
(No quorum present)
July 8, 2010
Motion was made and approved to accept two new members, Carol Evans and Suzanne Taylor.
Motion was made and accepted to adopt the Goals and Objectives.
Committees established were: History Committee, Website Committee, and Fundraising Committee.
July 22, 2010
The History Committee discussed moving of records from the 3rd floor of the historic courthouse to a place for storage and examination.
A decision was made to gather old photos and documents pertaining to the historic courthouse.
Motion made and approved to create a website with Network Solutions at a 3-year contract price of $358.20.
It was decided to establish a Grants Committee.
August 12, 2010
Approval has been given to build a handicapped entrance and restrooms at the historic courthouse.
Motion was made and approved to accept the URL and website.
Motion was made and approved to accept terms for the present board:
Carr Baynor, Carol Evans, Joan Sears, Pat Spencer, Edward Torres, and Glenda Williams – 3 year terms. Sallie Carter, Rita Franklin, Mac McLawhorn, and Suzanne Taylor – 2 year terms.
Motion was made and approved to accept the Goals and Objectives.
Tom Carmine has volunteered to assist with reviewing the final draft of Form 1023 with the IRS.
August 26, 2010
A Fundraising Program was handed out for committee review.
It was suggested that meetings be held prior to the Swan Quarter Service Group Meetings for interaction purposes.
(No quorum present)
September 23, 2010
A fundraiser for the David Roth Concert was approved. This concert will be held at the First Baptist Church on December 10, 2010.
Other fundraisers to be held at the Swan Quarter Yard Sale (drinks and raffle ticket sales) were approved.
Carr Baynor will replace Sallie Carter as secretary.
Margie Brooks reported that the website for the Historic Courthouse should be up and going by October 2, 2010.
The following motions were also approved:
- New brochure
- Pay Pay account – a way for people to make donations through our website
- Fundraising Program Guidelines
- 2010, 2011, and 2012 budgets
- Pat Spencer to sign IRS Form 1023
- Pat Spencer and Margie Brooks to be primary contacts for IRS Form 1023
- Payment of User Fee by Edward Torres to the IRS ($850.00)
- Donor Policy
October 5, 2010
Additions to the Donor Policy were approved.
The Board discussed raffle ticket sales and moving ahead with the Historic Courthouse project.
Alice Keeney reported that the restrooms and handicapped ramp need to be in place by December 31, 2010.
November 2, 2010
The Historic Courthouse Committee will serve soup and sandwiches at the Arts and Crafts Fair at O.A. Peay School on November 6th and 7th. Swan Quarter Service Group will be asked to help.
Alice Keeney stated that bids should be in for construction by the middle of November and construction should begin by December 1st.
Partnership for the Sounds representatives walked around Swan Quarter and visited the Historic Courthouse, giving encouraging comments.
Jeffrey Stotesberry commented that no one has officially contacted the Sanitary District concerning hooking up to the sewer.
December 7, 2010
Pat Spencer, Carol Evans, and Glenda Williams will meet at Providence at 6:00 pm on Thursday for the raffle drawing. Carol will give Steve Bryan a list of the winners.
Mack McLawhorn reported on the research he has done in Raleigh, stating that it appears the first court held in the Swan Quarter Courthouse was on February 25, 1839. He is willing to write a courthouse biography with the findings of his research.
February 8, 2011
Mack McLawhorn distributed a printout of his current findings on the courthouse, stating the newest part was built in 1836 and 1837.
Kris Nobles gave an update on the Historic Courthouse construction that began today.
Carol Evans mentioned the idea for a Swan Quarter festival.
March 8, 2011
Christopher Williams informed the committee that he is interested in renting the first floor of the Historic Courthouse for a sandwich shop.
Lee Padrick facilitated the meeting to assist the Friends in developing a clear vision for the future of the Historic Courthouse.
A motion to adopt the Whistle Blower’s Policy was passed.
March 15, 2011
A motion was made and approved to appoint Emily Thomas to the board.
Ken Chilcoat will prepare the 2011 taxes with assistance from Margie Brooks.
Kris Nobles stated that we need a business plan based around our Plan of Action and that we may need to create a Limited Liability Corporation to manage the property. She will work on a business plan with Margie.
Construction is on schedule and may be done in approximately one month.